Saturday, December 26, 2009

bake me a mix cake


oh hi boxing day, i remember you! you're meant to be FREAKING A MILLION DEGREES AND SUNNY - WHAT HAPPENED?

i'm meant to be lying on the sand, under a beach umbrella (with tassles), on my new ginormous beach towel, in my new fandangly cossie, drinking icy cold beer and eating watermelon. that's my boxing day tradition, and you've bloody wrecked it.

whatev's, i'm making a new tradition involving rum soaked cherry cakes and mix tapes. also, did you know you can vote in the triple j hottest 100 right now? go here, do it! i've been listening to my top 10 for 2009 while measuring, sifting and baking all my delicious cake ingredients, and thought you might like to have a listen too.

and anyway, maybe my new boxing day tradition can also involve drinking french champagne, eating fresh out of the oven cherry cake, putting my feet up and getting started on the stack of excellent new books i got for christmas yesterday. okay rainy grey sky - perhaps you're not so bad after all.

ps. this is in no partics order and if you're a regular visitor to make me a mix tape, i'm sure you'll be familiar with a few of these tunes.

pps. you know how people say they remember exactly what they were doing when they heard the news that diana, m.j, heath etc. had died? i'm like that with songs i know are going to be favourites for a very long time. these were ten such songs for me this year. xx


sitting in my kitchen, drinking earl grey tea, running late, wrapped in a towel knowing i need to get dressed, but unable to move away from the radio until i'd heard the whole song.

sitting at my desk, all alone in the office, and taking advantage of the stereo. sunlight flooding in our beautiful arch window and then julia starts singing about gold falling from the ceiling of the world. marvellous.

how to tame lions - washington

reviewing washington's EP for a music column i do, sitting cross-legged at my desk, in my pj's, on my old, pink wooden chair, drinking red wine. the next day i read an interview she'd done where she explained this particular track as a break-up song, and for some reason it made me love it even more.

heartbreak scorsese - snob scrilla

i'd borrowed mum's car, and was driving home on a sunday night along the wakehurst parkway. an odd choice because this isn't my favourite band or genre of music at all, and i don't even have a thing for scorsese. but i just couldn't get it out of my head.

bruises - chairlift

summer, way back at the beginning of 2009! it was literally this time last year, i was on holidays and stumbled across this gem on last fm. i'll admit i don't really love the album this comes off as a whole, but this has remained a favourite ALL year. and i think it's very romantic.

fader - the temper trap

drinking coffee and perusing the world wide web as i was getting ready for another workday. saw the new clip for fader, loved it, bought tickets to their january 2010 sydney show.

blood - the middle east

it was much earlier this year, i was at work and a friend of a colleague had sent an advance of this spine-tinglingly good EP. was in a skins phase at the time, and the two seemed to go hand in hand.

eet - regina spektor

in my bedroom, laying on my back with my feet up against the wall. it was cold and wintry outside, and i was warm and cosy inside. just listening. this track came on and i repeated it about 27 times.

home - edward sharpe & the magnetic zeros

plugged into the radio at work as i was doing something mega boring and brain-frying on the old dream-weaver and dreaming of impending christmas holidays. immediately started googling the band and also compiling a list of american states that are not said as they are spelled. arkansas, tucson etc.

dog days are over - florence & the machine

when macca still lived at casa de wilson, i heard this wonderful song coming out of her bedroom, which led to a new favourite band for katie dazzle and also one of our fabulous staircase chats.

No comments:

Post a Comment