Monday, July 20, 2009

feeling shady...


shady lane that is. a cute electro-pop four piece from my backyard in sydney, and they've been tugging at my heartstrings all day with their brand new debut album, here we go down the black hole.

as the title would suggest, the lyrics to these 12 songs do not tread a light path - they question life, religion, science, and are all wrapped up in a pre-occupation with death, dying, futility and existentialism.

but rather than being preachy or depressing, the warm electro fuzz and melody contained within each song allows for a kind of hopeful contemplation. i haven't seen these guys live but apparently shady lane perform on stage, not with a whiz-bang mac book, but rather an old school clumsy looking desktop. i like this. apparently you can buy them for $15 from some magical computer emporium. my flatmate and his girlfriend want to start making fishtanks out of them. i'm suitably nonplussed.

the music of shady lane is shoe-gazy enough to make me lie on my bed with my feet up the wall, electro enough to make me start tapping them about, and poppy enough to make me commando roll myself onto my feet and turn the volume up a little louder. definitely check out galileo and this is death. sweet in one ear and subdued out the other. x

No comments:

Post a Comment